Pages

Monday, March 30, 2015

RV Cooling - AC Alternative

5th Wheel bedroom window location - Window is open.

A few years ago my ceiling AC failed in my Roadtrek (Class B Motorhome). Repairs were not an option where I was, and the weather was stifling hot. I found this Bonaire Personal Cooler (which I call my Swamp Cooler), at Home Depot. There was just the one, it had been returned, and none of the store staff had the faintest idea how it worked. It was a good deal. I was desperate, so I took it.

Here's what you need to know:

  • You put it near an open window; 
  • Turn on your Fantastic Fan (ceiling fan if you have one);
  • Open other windows to create a draft; 
  • You put water in the back, turn it on, and you're good to go. 
You get low-cost cooling at a fraction of what AC costs. Good for the desert, and dry climates. Not so good in high humidity areas. This is a daytime cooler. One unit this size will NOT cool your entire trailer. However, it is portable, so you can move it around to where you are.

It will cool your Roadtrek. My cooler sat between the front seats when in use (hanging locker when not in use). It was great. There is a small pump, and a fan, so power consumption is minimal.

I like it best when daytime temperatures are below 90 F. The Fantastic Fan is turned on, AC in the rest of the trailer is turned off, and the windows are open. I use it to cool the bedroom in the afternoon. It raises the humidity level, and cools by evaporation. Perfect for people who find AC hard to take. More information is here. Highly recommended.