Pages

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Albuquerque in Sight

The closer we get to Albuquerque the warmer it gets. Judy is driving, I'm updating the blog, and answering email.

I am using the word Albuquerque as many times as I can, so I might actually be able to type it at some point without a bunch of typos.

It was certainly cool when we departed Elk City this morning, and it didn't change much across Texas or the east end of New Mexico. This is the cold air, which is heading east to eventually collide with Hurricane Sandy. So says the Weather Channel. What I can tell you for free -  it's definitely cold out here. Try 28 F this morning. Be prepared everyone. Are we ready for winter?

Entering Texas around 9 am this morning I was humming Amarillo by Morning. I love this song, and especially as we find Amarillo by Morning.

Amarillo by morning, up from San Antone.
Everything that I've got is just what I've got on.
When that sun is high in that Texas sky
I'll be bucking at the county fair.
Amarillo by morning, Amarillo I'll be there. 

For those who don't know north Texas along I-40, it can be described in one word: FLAT. Flat, but with farming. Farming, and sometimes cattle. Somewhere, there are also ranch homes, but you rarely see them from the highway, but you do see massive entrances (gates) and then nothing. Since you can see for at least 25 miles you wonder how far these ranchers have to drive to get out to the highway! I'm reminded of Dallas (the TV series).

New Mexico in the east is flat, but it soon turns to hills, big hills. It is also desert, and now there are no more farms. This is the land government settlement people gave the first nations people in exchange for putting their bows away. This was before our time. We are much more generous, we give them our old cars and trailers.

Over the years, when Judy has been seeking my counsel on things, she has asked where old trailers go to die. I guess she is thinking, where do we send our trailer when the time comes! I'm thinking NM along Hwy 40...where the other ones are. I wonder who these folks are voting for? Will four more years change their lives?

Speaking of Judy, I have just patiently explained that sometimes we let off on the gas a little when we get big hills, so that we don't take two mile hills in passing gear. Even the big trucks don't go full speed up big hills, I explain. I know she finds my driving advice helpful.

I'm having to drop this post suddenly because we are apparently changing drivers. :-)