Pages

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

I have never been to war

VDO Managers, Glenda and Darwin Farr
I've never worn a military uniform before. Never been to war. Never been wounded or scared in battle. I've never left my family for months or years to travel across the world to fight to defend my country. I have never eaten a MRE, carried a C-Bag, put on a combat boot, shot at an enemy, flown in a fighter jet, or helped a dying friend. I have no idea what war is like. I have no idea what any of you have experienced. Your fear, your bravery, your suffering, your survival.

But I do know one thing, and that is, you will not find anyone more proud of you than I. And, the service that you have rendered in defending your great country,including those of you who are from Canada, I respect and honour you as well. We fought side by side. And, to you, I express my appreciation. 

Please let me finish by holding my hand on my heart, and thanking you, for the service you have rendered to your great country. Thank you so very much.

Darwin Farr - November 2015

* Darwin Farr was asked to speak at the Valle del Oro Veteran's Day ceremony, and after some reflections on his father's military service, he finished with what is above. Touched by his sincerity, and the emotions I felt hearing his comments, I have reprinted it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome.