Pages

Sunday, November 15, 2015

Veteran's Day Parade Mesa


Buffalo Soldiers of the Arizona Territory
November 11 was a perfect day in Mesa for a Veteran's Day parade, so my buddy Lee and I headed out early, and got a perfect location at the start of the parade route. There was plenty of time to mix it up with the parade participants as they formed up for the parade. I took plenty of pictures, including the ones you see here (just a sample), which are among my favorites.

Mesa High School Band - there were six of them
On parade days, you are pretty much able to shove your camera in just about anyone's face without complaint. Actually, they're sort of flattered, and expect it. I never go to a parade without a camera. And, I do like to get there early, near the start of the parade, maybe even in the form-up area. Perfect.

Rear Admiral - U.S, Navy - Dennis Wisely
There were lots of dignitaries in the parade, and I got a good shot of Admiral Wisely, so here he is. With 350 combat missions over Vietnam, you wonder how he made it. The man is well decorated, but you won't see any there in his flying suit. Just so you know, he earned the Silver Star, six Legion of Merit Medals, two Distinguished Flying Cross Medals, 29 Air Medals, and a Purple Heart. What more is there to say!

What a beautiful face. My favorite photo.
Finally, I present my absolute favorite photo of the day. In costume, and stepping back in history to the early days of Buffalo Soldiers and their families here in the south-west. I asked politely for this photo, and was rewarded with the sweet smile you see here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome.